I am widely known by my family and friends as the girl who loves to cook.
An evening over at a friend’s place is my opportunity to get recipes out of my system. More often than not I come with a back seat full of dishes ranging from tried and true people pleasers to dishes that I’ve just been wanting to try. I just love to feed people!
One of the most common questions I get from people is “How long did it take you to cook this?” I think there is a false perception that good food has to be time consuming. Sure, there are days where I choose to spend hours developing the flavors of a well simmered bolognese sauce, or I decide to make an Indian feast from scratch meaning I spend time whirring together sauce after sauce in my little food processor. But on a typical weeknight, I rarely spend a lot pulling together a dinner that is still equally delicious.
My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to time just how long it took me to pull together dinner tonight.
From start to plate it took me exactly 20 minutes and 56 seconds (this included unloading and loading the dishwasher so I could clean up faster after dinner!)
Here’s whatcha need to make these super delicious (husband approved) fish tacos!
Fish Tacos (makes 5 tacos):
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped (you could also use shredded lettuce here too)
- 1/2 cup tomatos, diced
- 3 tilapia filets (I use frozen and set them in the fridge the morning that I know I want to make fish)
- lime juice (about a tablespoon)
- Tortillas (you can use whatever kind you like, I used low carb wheat tortillas because they net 3g of carbs. Two thumbs up for fiber!)
- salt & red pepper flakes (to taste)
Super Delicious Sauce:
- 5 T Sour Cream or plain yogurt (plan on about 1 T per taco)
- 1 T lime juice
- 2 – 3 T cilantro, chopped
- onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt (to taste. usually just one good shake over the top works well)
- Set oven for 350.
- Put tilapia filets on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes
- Put tilapia in the oven, bake until there is no more pink and the fish flakes apart easily (about 15 minutes)
- Chop up cabbage, set aside
- Dice tomatos, set aside
- Mix up the sour cream, chop and add the cilantro and all the other sauce ingredients.
- Decide you have more time to fill until the fish is done and do the dishes (at least this is what I do.)
- Warm up tortillas (totally optional, but again, I had time to fill so I warmed them in a skillet)
- Pull the tilapia out of the oven and drizzle it with some lime juice.
- Flake or cut up the tilapia (I like to flake it because I find this easier. Do you. Whatever you like is what you should do.
- Put together a taco with cabbage, tilapia, tomatoes and sauce.
- Boom. Done. Eat.
I LOVE these tacos! They are super filling, really super easy, and are even on a little bit more of the healthier side. Win, Win, Win!
Next time you need a quick, delicious meal, give these a try and let me know that you did!
Tell me, what is your go to “I don’t have time to make dinner” food? Do you love fish tacos as much as I do? Do you show up to your friends house with 2 sides and a dessert because you are kinda a food nerd? Let me know in the comments below!