I swear it was just yesterday that I was reflecting on 2013 thinking “How in the world will 2014 live up to this?!” In 2013, I quit my job, went to grad school, went on multiple trips, and caught up with friends I hadn’t seen in forever. I loved 2013. I was scared to see it go and yet now I see how perfectly my 2013 prepared me for my wonderful and completely different 2014.
I’m sitting on my couch curled up next to the Christmas tree (Yes it’s still up! Don’t judge my choices!), watching “30 Rock” and drinking coffee (Yes at 10pm! Again, don’t judge me!) and realizing how utterly weird, quirky, surprising, stretching and amazing 2014 has been. To truly recap all the happenings, I decided to compile this list of 2,014 things that happened in 2014…
Here is my list of things that are significant from this year, that I want to remember, or that just stick out.
1. I read 20 non-school books.
2. I earned my Master of Arts in Christian Ministries.
3. I cultivated a deep and unmitigated hatred of sand! That stuff is the herpes of the sea and I don’t care what you think, I despise the stuff.
4. I was asked by a random person in Target what kind of lipgloss I was wearing only for me to reply that I had just consumed a hashbrown from McDonald’s. (hashtag classy!)
5. I conquered several recipes (pad thai, pasta bolognese, pot stickers, butter chicken, naan bread, pasta carbonara, and many others)
6. I painted exactly 31 coats of paint, in 9 different rooms, while listening to 5 different audiobooks.
7. We moved to Orlando
8. I became an annual passholder at Disney World!
9. I learned how to rewire a garbage disposal.
10. I walked out of my condo, onto the beach, and watched a rocket launch.
11. I didn’t write a book.
12. I did write enough grad school papers to equal a book though.
13. The Chestnut Praline Latte at Starbucks changed my life.
14. We sold our house by owner in less than 2 weeks.
15. I watched and fell in love with the first 5 seasons of Doctor Who. #nerdstatus
16. The Buffalo Wild Wings spicy garlic mac and cheese was birthed within the depths of my kitchen.
17. I realized that Brandon and I’s relationship more resembles Michael and Holly’s relationship from “the Office” rather than Jim and Pam.
18. I accepted that #17 was ok.
19. I met the wonderful, amazing, Rock Star of a team that is the Victory Orlando Dream Team.
20. I discovered the Croque Glace’ at Epcot. (It’s this thing. It Changed my Life and my pant size.)
21. I found a love for writing for writing’s sake.
22. I re-discovered my love for creating systems, and order, and helping people help others.
23. My grandma went to be with Jesus. We couldn’t be happier for her!
24. We learned how to install an entire kitchen on our own.
25. We decided not to ever install an entire kitchen again.
26. I discovered Cookie Butter and it changed my life and my pant size.
27. I learned how to get around most of Orlando without the help of Siri
28. I got yelled at by Siri a lot (make. a. u-turn. will haunt my dreams for most of 2015)
29. I saw a baby sea turtle and it was adorable.
30. I drank 400+ cups of coffee. Easily. Possibly more. Because maybe you can measure a year in cups of coffee.
31. We fit all our belongings in a 7x7ft POD.
32. I was super proud of #31.
33. I learned that you should make your own opinions of people rather than take on your friends opinions of them.
34. I developed an obsession with gel stain.
35. I realized that HGTV and Pinterest give you a very false sense of ability.
36. I made Jabba the Snowman.
37. I realized that it’s important to fight for who you are rather than let people push you into boxes of who you used to be.
38. I ate more Thai-style Ramen than I care to fully admit.
39. #38 will definitely happen in 2015.
40. I wrote this blog post.
You did it. I did it. We all did it together. 2014 is nearing it’s end. With all of it’s triumphs, embarrassments and discoveries we will leave it behind and move on. I urge you to move on. Leave the things of 2014 behind you. Even the good things. It’s time to focus on what 2015 has for us and not judge it by the measuring stick of 2014. It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life, and I’m feelin’ good. (Buble’ anyone?)
What was your favorite part of 2014? Did you have similarly embarrassing moments to my #4? Let me know in the comments!
Happy *almost* New Year!