Yes, that’s right. It has been two weeks since we closed on our house and I can only think of 5 things that are done enough to be crossed off my list. I am currently at the point of a renovation where I just want ONE thing to go completely right from start to finish. I have spent a significant amount of time cursing HGTV and walking around saying “what were we thinking?”
Anyway, here are the things with actual, visible progress that have happened within the past two weeks.
1. We had all the mold remediated.
When we first had our inspection done (and we suspected) that there was mold all over in the kitchen. So we knew that our first priority would be to have it all removed as soon as we got the keys. The process took 3 days and a full week after closing before we got the “all clear” on the air in order to start build-back (construction term for “putting walls back up”)
As a reminder, this is what the kitchen looked like when we first bought it.
And this is what it looked like when everything with mold had been removed.
2. We built back everything that was removed because of mold.
My 9th grade basic construction class came in very handy as I put in insulation and hung drywall….
It may not be pretty, but it’s done!
Note, we DID prime over this before putting in the cabinets.
Second Note: More like we put in the cabinets and then read that we needed to prime it first. Learn from us people. Don’t do the things we did!
We also needed to reconstruct that half wall so that the height would be flush with the cabinets. Before, there was a bar area. But we really want a large amount of endless counter space. So we needed to rebuild the wall, in order to achieve the seemless counter space we wanted.
This picture is before we added drywall. One thing I would like to note here. Do ALL your research before doing build-back to avoid having to re-open any walls to move things around. This MAY have happened because of my “Done is better” attitude and doing too many things while my husband is working and then him coming out and being like “the internet says no” and then having to redo things.
3. We installed the bottom cabinets.
I have a major, deeply personal issue with inefficiency. So I cannot begin to express my frustration with this process. I will go into greater detail when I do a full post once all the cabinets are installed. But I will say that we have installed and un-installed these three times now (for various reasons). Also, you may notice that we haven’t installed the upper cabinets yet. Yes, we know that it would have been significantly easier to install the uppers first. However, Ikea has yet to give us all our upper cabinets. One of those cabinets is our high, pull-out pantry cabinet that will dictate the height of our other cabinets. Since we had to get the bottom cabinets templated in order to have our countertops installed, we needed to get the bottom cabinets installed.
4. I primed the Master, the guest bath, and the kitchen.
That’s right, I’m counting “priming” as progress. Why? Because I had to put 3 coats of primer in the master alone. It’s not ok, guys!!
A reminder of the horrid Master Bedroom color before…
After 3 coats of Kilz
5. I completely finished the utility room!!
That’s right, I have one room in the house that is completely finished and fully functional. It is my utility room. My washer and dryer and working, there is a paint color on the wall and there is currently nothing else that needs to be done to this room and therefore it is currently my absolute favorite room in the house.
The paint color has been a hot-point in our house as of late. “Some” people think it’s too green…. But we are going with it anyway because I like it and when we tried to eliminate the green in the color and add some blue, there was no visible difference. So there ya have it.
Tip for the day: Parents, don’t let your kids color on outlet covers! I was astounded at how many outlet covers had crayon marks on them!